3…..2……1….BLAST OFF WITH PACK 108:
On April 15th Pack 108 will be hosting a Campout in Lancaster SC for all families to attend. There is no cost for this campout and the boys will have the ability (weather dependent) to build Estes Model Rockets and launch them. Rocket kits will be provided by the Pack and handed out at the March Pinewood Derby. Scouts can either build them at home with a parent or Den leaders may incorporate the building of the rockets into a Den meeting. On this Campout the Pack will host a Dinner for all families to enjoy (Burgers and Hot Dogs) with follow on Campfire and S’mores. This location has access to fishing at a pond so bring your poles and tackle box- Catch and Release only! Those Scouts that are early risers, keep your eyes peeled for Deer that graze in the field while the sun come up! Fishing and Swimming in the Catawba River that abuts the property is prohibited.
Pack 108 is going to be setting up camp in the large field so there is plenty of space for everyone- but there are no electricity/water hookups. Please plan and pack accordingly for a more primitive style campout. Campout Arrival time is early Saturday AM with Rocket Launching to occur late morning or just after lunch. Sunday Morning, we ask that everyone packs up in the morning, police call the sites for trash, and depart by late morning/ before lunch. Details and Fliers will be presented at the February Pack Meeting and rockets will be given out at the Pinewood Derby!
This property can be Google Mapped at this link for directions (there isn’t a formal address): Click Here
Below is a Tutorial on Building a Model Rocket should there be any questions with the kit provided directions.
Pack 108 Campers,
This weekend is the Pack 108 Rocket Campout and if you’re receiving this email you have signed up to attend either for the day or the overnight campout. Below is information about the campout that should answer most questions but if there are any that are not answered please reach out to me. Also – the Pack Leaders are on this email to help disseminate any questions. www.pack108.com has all the info as well!
1. Weather: Saturday High 78/ Low 62 chance of rain under 20%. Sunday Similar but more chance of Thunderstorms/Rain later on in the Day.
2. Arrival Time: Saturday April 15th: No Earlier then 9am
Departure Time: Sunday April 16th No Later then 11am.
3. Directions: (45min from Fort Mill) This property is a rural property in Lancaster, SC without a true address-just located on “Macadams Road”. The property Name is Button River. Look for a big white “Welcome to Button River” sign when you reach Macadams Road (this is the gravel road that leads you to the property). Attached is a PDF map of the property and where to go. We will also have the PACK 108 Flag at the entrance gate where the attached map starts. You can click this link for GPS coordinates to the site and use Google Maps to get 98% of the way there. https://www.google.com/maps/
If you use GOOGLE MAPS or use it only until you turn off the gravel road- once you turn off the gravel road follow the signs (If you keep using Google maps or Apple Maps it will take you to the neighbor’s tree farm)
4. We are setting up the campsite by the Shed (look for other tents). Find the shed by following the Green Arrows on the attached map. The Dog Demonstration and Rocket Launching will take place at the Impound Field just to the north of the campsite at the end of Button River Rd for those coming during the day for specific events. Please note Scouts roaming the property so drive slow when coming into the camping area.
5. Timeline of Events: (Subject to weather and slight time adjustments)
9:00 am Arrival and Site Setup
10:30 am Trash Collection and Property Cleanup along the River (Scouts will receive service hours and this is a Pack 108 Thank You to Landowners for allowing us to camp here for free!)
12:30 pm SC DNR Dog retrieval, scent tracking, search & rescue
2:30 pm Rocket Launching and Carolina Rocketry Club Demo
5:30 pm Dinner
7:30 pm (ish) (Optional) Sunset Celebration at Firetower Field.
10:00 pm Lights Out
8:00 am Wake Up (Latest) and Pack up
9:00 am Site Cleanup and Exit
6. We have some extra rockets so if any replacements are needed, please let me know. We are just launching the rockets on Saturday so please arrive with them built and ready to go. Pack 108 is supplying the motors, so you just need to bring the rockets!
7. Pack Dinner is going to be Hotdogs/Hamburgers with Chips and Juice boxes. All Scouts and families (Both campers and day visitors) are encouraged to partake in the Pack Dinner.
8. Fishing is allowed and encouraged in the POND only. No Scouts or Family members can fish, swim, or enter the Catawba River for any reason.
9. There is a bathroom on site but it’s a single use bathroom. There is non-potable water on site but please bring your own drinking water. Limited power on site. Rustic Camping.
10. My cell phone is 704-562-6612 if you have any questions. Jeff’s is 704 651 6373
11. Please respect the property and the generosity of the landowner for letting us use the land. Avoid areas flagged with caution tape and put back any borrowed tools, fishing rods, etc.
12. Adults only are permitted to drive the various vehicles around the property. Please stay only on marked, identifiable roads and do not take any vehicles (Jeep, ATV, SxS or personal vehicles) on trails unless given explicit permission by Jeff.
13. Jeff Heybruck has spent countless weekends getting the site ready for Pack 108. The camping area and shed have been treated for fire ants but that does not mean it is fire ant free. ALL other areas of the property are infested with fire ants so please plan accordingly. It is simply impossible to treat 450 acres of timber farm for fire ants. Keep trash picked up and store food off the ground in a sealed container (not in your tent!) to avoid issues.
14. Uniform: Class B (Yellow Pack Shirts or Scouting themed T-shirts) for Saturday’s Events (DNC Dog Demo and Rocket launch)